The fish

I have a big and beautiful aquarium in my school library (where I am the librarian). Since the school closed, the fish (five little tetras of some kind, I think they are) have been hanging out in there alone, and the maintenance staff has been graciously feeding them for me every week. 

Today I was feeling like it was probably a nuisance for the staff to have to take on that responsibility - they are holding down the fort at the school during all of this. So, this morning I called and said I'd come over and pick up the fish and take them home, if that was cool.

It was cool, and now I have five fish in my house. I've NEVER had fish in my house. Not when I was growing up, not as an adult. I really don't know what I am doing. In fact, last year was the first year that the aquarian was brought into the library, and through the course of the year, I think that over a dozen fish died because it turns out I am a terrible fish mother! Too much food, perhaps, or maybe when one fish would die, he would perhaps contaminate the water and then others would die. It was always hard to say what would cause it. Not changing the filters frequently enough?

Well, maybe I've learned something because somehow this year (since January at least), these five little guys have survived. They've made it through the school closure, the virus (so far), and the move from their giant home in the library to two vases in my house. It is a very small hopeful thing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutism

Writing during Corona